Monday, April 15, 2013

Book talk: Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett (Virginia Readers' Choice, 2013-2014)


What would you do if you found a box filled with yarn of every color?

Some of you might play with the yarn. Some of you might ignore the yarn. Some of you might give your parents the box of yarn.

Not Annabelle. She went home and knit herself a sweater, and when she was done, she had extra yarn.

So she kept knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting. Annabelle would knit for anyone or anything – human, animal, or…thing. She’d knit a sweater for a birdhouse or a pickup truck  or a house or a tree.

She enjoyed it, and it added color to her world. I’d say she’s one of the most generous characters I’ve met. Annabelle is so cool. I wish there were more Annabelles in this world.

[Gasp.] Oh my gosh! I can’t even tell you. [Pause for effect.] If I tell you something, will you promise not to get upset? [Or you could make them promise to read the book].

Someone STOLE her box of yarn. I can't say any more than that. You'll just have to read it.

Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen. Unpaged.  2012: Balzer + Bray. Booktalk to primary grades. Virginia Readers' Choice 2013-2014.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Carey,
    My name is Meg and I run a site called Booknixie.com. I was looking for reviews of Extra Yarn to share on our site and I came across your post... I know it's not a review per se, but I'd love to share your "booktalk" on my site! If you're open to it, shoot me an email at meg(at)booknixie(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete