Monday, April 2, 2012

Booktalk: The Big Elephant in the Room by Lane Smith (Virginia Readers' Choice, 2011-2012)


Pretend your best friend is mad at you, and you don’t know why. You are wracking your brain for the reason. You know there’s a big, big reason which he is not bringing up. Nope, he’s going to let you figure it out. It’s what we call the elephant in the room. He even asks you what the big elephant in the room is! Oh no! You’re in trouble! So this is what you say…
Is it that I broke your computer? No…I guess it wasn’t that.
Is it that I took the cool bike and gave you the bad one? No…I guess it wasn’t that.
Is it that I told a girl you laughed so hard you peed your pants? No…I guess it wasn’t that.
Is that I picked you last for soccer … and baseball … and volleyball? No … I guess it wasn’t that.
Is it that I made fun of your Rainbow Pony backpack? Really? No … I guess it wasn’t that.
And this isn’t about the super glue “accident,” either? Okay, fine, not that one either.
Okay, you’re stumped. You still don’t know what the big elephant in the room is! You’d better get that info out of your best friend, or he won’t be your best friend much longer.
 The Big Elephant in the Room by Lane Smith. Unpaged. Disney/Hyperion Books, 2009. Booktalk to primary grades. Virginia Readers’ Choice 2011-2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment